Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prize Cherry Cake

I overheard a cashier in the lounge at work over Christmas talking about a customer. She was saying how when she was checking her in she started to shake her can of Nestle Fussels Cream as you would and misses practically tore it out of her hand and lectured her that she didn't need it shaken as it was for her Cherry Cake. I thought to myself that Cherry Cake must be very moist and delicious with the can cream in it.

So I started asking around at work for the recipe. It comes from an old 1974 Cream of the West Cookbook and is supposedly the best Cherry Cake going! However, there's another recipe with cream cheese in it that must be tasty as well. I will post that recipe as well seperately.

By the way, Nestle Fussels Tin Cream is sold here in Newfoundland, but I'm not sure where else. It's a very thick cream in a tin that is delicious on fruit or toast and jam, my favorite. You have to shake it before using it though which brings back a fond childhood memories fighting over who got to shake the can! Me Me Me!

PRIZE CHERRY CAKE

Preheat oven to 300. Grease a 10-inch tube pan, dust lightly with flour.

Sift together in a bowl:
4 cups Cream of the west flour - I used Favorite flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Set aside.

Cream 1 and 1/2 cups margarine (or butter)

Gradually beat in
2 cups sugar (white)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
Beat for 2 minutes.

Blend in one at a time, until light and fluffy
5 eggs

Add your sifted flour ingredients to your creamed mixture alternately with 1 can Fussel's cream
juice and rind of 1 lemon

Make 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, combine ligthly after each one.

Coat 2 packs (8 ounces each) of candied cherries with 2 tablespoons of flour. Fold into the mixture.

Turn into your tube pan.

Bake at 300 for 1-1/2 hrs - 2 hrs. or until your toothpick comes out clean.

Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pan to finish cooling.

2 comments:

  1. woodhavencottages@yahoo.caDecember 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM

    I just made this cake and I don't think it will last long! Thanks for posting the recipe for this delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad your enjoying the cake. I guess you were able to find the canned cream, Nestle brand is the only one I am able to find in Ontario

      Delete

AddThis