Monday, November 9, 2009

Best Buttermilk Waffles

One of my fondest memories of visiting Las Vegas a couple of years ago was the Mini Belgian Waffles at Caesar's Palace. Not to mention a wonderful lady who reminded me of Whoppie, who served them. I did ask her what was in them and she gladly told me. I remember something about wheat flour, etc. Anyway, I've tried a few recipes and I finally came across this one. It's from Baking Bites and is fantastic. It works well on all types of waffle makers. You can read all about it on their website which is quite informative with detailed instructions and pictures of their recipes. I will post their address under my links.

I almost forgot. Don't forget the strawberries and whipped cream or Vegas Style, Banana's Foster to top them off!

Belgian Waffles

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled

Preheat your waffle iron while you make the batter.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
In a large measuring cup or a medium-sized bowl, lightly beat together buttermilk, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, eggs and melted butter until smooth. Pour into flour mixture and whisk only until just combined and no obvious streaks of flour remain. Batter should be slightly lumpy. Let rest 30 minutes.

Use a 1-cup measure or a large spoon to scoop batter into the waffle iron, lightly greased if your iron requires it. Cook as directed by your machine (mine makes a loud beeping when waffles are done).
Serve immediately, with butter and maple syrup.

Makes 4 Belgian waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis