Friday, November 27, 2009

Sloppy Joes

I have no idea how I got these in my mind. However, I decided to make a batch for supper. The recipe I used was basically ground beef, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and dry mustard. Not bad for a first attempt and I was going to post the recipe I used, but while watching the Food Network there was a show about Sloppy Joes. Chef Bobby Flay challenged the Schnipper brothers who are famous in Times Square New York for their Sloppy Joes against his. The brothers discussed a couple of key ingredients like Ground Beef, Onion, Red and Green Pepper, NO CELERY, Sweet Paprika, Brown Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Worchestershire, and a secret ingredient which I belive may be Coke. Yes Coke, it was in some of hundreds of Sloppy Joe recipes I looked at on line this weekend. They also said to make the sauce a day ahead to develop the flavors. Anyway, this is the recipe I came up with. Also, check out the Schnipper brothers under my links.

Sloppy Joes

Ingredients
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
• 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
• 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon prepared mustard or 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• salt and pepper
Directions
In a large skillet, brown ground beef just until pink color is gone. Remove from pan and set aside.
Drain the fat except 1 tablespoon, add onion and peppers. Sauté until onions and peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients, ground beef, simmer covered, 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If Joes appear too’ loose', leave cover off and let moisture evaporate.
Cook until it's the consistency you like for serving on toasted buns, with french fries and cole slaw.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I'm going to try this recipe. I thought the secret ingredient was Balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar because they said this isn't the vinegar we usually use, but its "close" and balsamic is sweeter. But that's a guess too.
    Cheers!
    BJ

    ReplyDelete

AddThis